Sunday, February 19, 2012

Days 5 & 6

Oh my……I just came to a sudden realization that it's already been 1 month since I've come here.
Time goes by so fast here, and I feel like I haven't even seen a fourth of Vienna yet.  And even worse, I'm still trying to catch up blogging on my first week here!
Well, hopefully I can finish this blog post quickly so I can catch up soon!


Day #5 (1/23)

First day of class!  Technically, I only had Deutschkurs (German class) today, although Julia and I are both auditing the European Fine Arts class, which is right after German.
A note on German class, since my mother keeps on asking me ;)
………It is……interesting.  Well see……we haven't actually done any grammar yet.
OK, that might be exaggerating a bit, but we haven't even talked about cases, verb tenses (just present tense), adjectives/adverbs, etc.  We just barely coaxed accusative and dative pronouns out of her, the other day.
Yes, Julia would get mad at me if she saw this post (we are learning a lot of vocabulary, I guess), but the lack of grammar instruction is a little annoying nonetheless

After class, we went with Markus, one of the amazing people from the Austro-American Institute of Education (AAIE), to register in Vienna.

Here are some cool things we saw on the way there/back.

















































The Spanish Riding School!

The Michaelerkirche, I think?  I love this statue.




















These are the amazing Monet steps of the Albertina museum.  Ich liebe Monet!




















Somehow, it's easier to be excited about homework when you're in Vienna.



















Day 6 (1/24):

We went to the Wien museum as part of our European Fine Arts class, and later in the evening, we went to the Sacher cafe to get some Sacher torte :)


We passed this on our way to the Wien museum.  You have to pay to use this toilet, but it plays pretty waltzes :)
















Some of my favorites from the museums……






























These statues are apparently important for the "S-curve," typical of Gothic sculpture.



































The gargoyle that was supposed to be really terrifying, but was actually super cute because it had been so weathered.






































Lucy and I have these horrified expressions on our faces, because the guy on the left of the picture (I don't remember his name) had a very painful life.  e.g. he was hung upside down in order to cure an illness, which resulted in him being blind in one eye and paralyzed in one arm.
Well, maybe the paralyzation part was false, but you get the point.



















Just a cool table.






















In the evening, we went to the Sacher cafe to eat some of the famous Sacher Torte.


This is me trying to be discreet, not wanting to look too touristy.















This is me (and others) being not-so discreet.







































So, a note on the Sacher cafe……

It's a major tourist trap that advertises the "original sacher torte."  It's also a very elegant cafe, so we all felt like celebrities while we were in there, but we had to pay to check our coats and the torte was over-priced.
Also, I wasn't too happy with my sacher torte.  It was very dry (I guess it's supposed to be like that), and sometimes almost stale.  The frosting wasn't chocolatey enough, either.
That being said, I liked that it wasn't too sweet, and the apricot jam in between the layers was amazing.

Interpret that as you may, but if you ever go to Vienna, I wouldn't recommend going to get Sacher torte there.  (A lot of the people I went with loved it, though.)


Here are some beautiful people in our group :)





















Sacher cafe may not have been the best, but Vienna is amazing :)  The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment